- More Events
- 9th European Conference on Sustainable Cities and Towns
Sep 30, 2020
- URBAN FUTURE Global Conference - Lisbon
Apr 01, 2020
- Asia-Pacific Urban Forum 7: Future of Asia and Pacific Cities
Oct 15, 2019
- 10th Session of the World Urban Forum
Feb 08, 2020
- World Bank Youth Summit 2019: Smarter Cities for a Resilient Future
Dec 02, 2019
- W12 Congress: First International Meeting of Cities Facing a “Day Zero” Water Scenario
Jan 27, 2020
Sep 07, 2019
- ISIE Americas 2020 - Industrial Ecology for Resilient and Sustainable Cities: enhancing circularity and wellbeing
Jul 06, 2020
- View events archive
World Cities Day
Oct 31, 2018
The United Nations General Assembly has designated the 31st of October as World Cities Day, by its resolution 68/239. The Day is expected to greatly promote the international community’s interest in global urbanization, push forward cooperation among countries in meeting opportunities and addressing challenges of urbanization, and contributing to sustainable urban development around the world.
2018 Theme: Building Sustainable and Resilient Cities
The general theme of World Cities Day is Better City, Better Life, while each year a different sub-theme is selected, to either promote successes of urbanization, or address specific challenges resulting from urbanization.
This year, the United Nations has selected the theme Building Sustainable and Resilient Cities; because cities need support to become resilient and develop their capacity to absorb the impact of hazards, protect and preserve human life and limit damage to and destruction of public and private assets while continuing to provide infrastructure and services after a crisis. The main event will be celebrated in Liverpool, UK.