Question for specific codes for chemical manufacturing in the infrastructure layer

Metabolism of Cities Data Hub
Back to topic list

I am creating a data set with companies that manufacture chemicals in Barcelona, I found a company that creates dyes for textiles, packaging, paper and adhesives. I was looking into the NACE code 20 categories (https://staf.metabolismofcities.org/activities/3655/3884/) and wasn't sure into which category dyes fit into. The closest category it could fit into I thought would be 20.3 Manufacture of paints, varnishes and similar coatings, printing ink and mastics. But wasn't sure.

I was also wondering where should I stipulate the code, within the data set I upload? Or within the description or in the internal comments?

My last question is what if one company produces many chemical products like paints, coatings, adhesives, detergents etc. Would I include all those codes for that company within the data set?

Hi María Gracia,

Good questions. The category you identified is good, 20.3 sounds like a reasonable one for dyes, I'd say. If your entire dataset is about dyes then you can put it in the description itself. If you have multiple different categories covered, then it makes sense you put it in the dataset itself.

Ahhh and about your last question: the multiple products that you mention all fit in 20.3 so no need to multi-tag them. Or you could just go one level up, so that it covers all things.

Thank you for getting back to me. I'll make note of it once I upload it :)