New task was created
Discuss and decide with Paul the use of STAF flow diagrams for CityLoops
Created on Friday 12 February 2021, 11:29Back to task list
TypeGeneral Research Work
Assigned toPaul Hoekman
SubscribersCarolin BellstedtPaul Hoekman
The CL cities will have to build value chains for all 11+12 sector materials. They will not all have their own iterations of e.g. a concrete value chain, but we will split up the materials amongst them. I was trying to figure out how they could best build the value chains and of course the flow diagrams in STAF came to mind and Aris is keen to use those too, but we didn't want to get our hopes up. The question to Paul is however: is this ready to be used by the public / the CL cities?
Benefit of using STAF flow diagram would be / is:
1. Clear from and to of flows
2. Already have NACE codes in the system
3. Possibility to specify / simplify NACE codes by using generic terms e.g. “sale of concrete”
4. Central place to have the value chains
5. Value chains in a standardised form
6. No copy pasting of material codes to other sites/applications
7. IDEALLY: connect to the Sankey (eventually); --> Paul, you had said at some point that this link wasn't too far off.
1. Looks funky if the material diagram goes outside of the image, e.g. https://staf.metabolismofcities.org/flowdiagrams/32077/
2. Sometimes the diagram doesn't show. This seems to be the case if the name is too long, e.g. for Oil-bearing crops, "01.11 - Growing of cereals (except rice), leguminous crops and oil seeds" gives trouble, which I tested in testtest.
3. Not integrated with CL data hub (yet).
If all this is too far from being put to practical use, then we'd use google slides as alternative.
Thanks in advance for your input Paul!