New task was created
Improve task management system
Created on Thursday 25 February 2021, 18:17Back to task list
ProjectMetabolism of Cities
Assigned toPaul Hoekman
SubscribersCarolin BellstedtPaul Hoekman
We currently have hundreds and hundreds of tasks that are listed on our site. Each of our subsites has its own task list. Each task has a certain type, making it more or less suitable for someone (programming, communication, research, etc). There is a priority setting, and an option to add a tag. Some tasks are directly related to specific documents (datasets, journal articles, video, etc). However, despite all of these settings and linkages, managing tasks is very messy. Some of the reasons are:
- We have one single interface to search for tasks, and unless you really know what you are doing, it's tricky to find the right stuff.
- There is the issue of tasks being linked to documents. This gets very fuzzy quickly, because currently each engagement with a document gets its own task (uploading is a task, processing is a task, etc etc). This is good for keeping track of who did what, and give them credit for their work. However it's terribly complicated to discuss stuff after the work is done, and it's also difficult to locate the relevant tasks once they are completed.
- We use the same commenting system in the forum, and it is sometimes unclear when one is commenting within a task and when this becomes a forum topic (because the place where you comment is sometimes an embedded place, when you are "deep inside" an MOC section, which is then actually linked to a task/forum topic, but without this being very clear to people.
So let's make this better. I don't know yet all the things to be done, but here are some of my ideas:
- Sort out document-related discussions... I think they should ALL take place within the document, and the "document-related tasks" should be removed from the task list (they could show up in people's profiles but they will then link to the document, not to a task that they have never seen before in that format).
- Let's separate tasks a bit better by type, and make special interfaces for certain audiences. We have one "portal" for design work, but this is actually linked NOWHERE and we need other ones for other things (e.g. programming).
- Would be good to search for text inside discussions, as we have struggled to dig old stuff up before.
- General look at the presentation of all tasks and how to make that clearer.
I'll get started with this and we can take it from there.