New task was created
Find more sources for authoritative reference spaces groups (non-EU)
Created on Wednesday 14 April 2021, 14:01Back to task list
TypeGeneral Research Work
TagsData Hub Priority Plan 2021 Multi-scale integration
Assigned toNo one yet
Following the task of compiling what we already have in our system, we should also find some other sources that are similar to e.g. NUTS levels in the EU, but for other parts of the world and ideally at a consistent level. There very likely is not ONE shapefile or source, but some that encompass several countries would be very desirable. Moreover, it would need to be open source and not copyrighted so that we can use it.
Good starting points, in no particular order, are:
- the "see also" section of the NUTS wiki article
- UN, maybe here: https://unstats.un.org/unsd/classifications/Nationalclassifications
- this document
- UNCTATstat here
- FIPS regions and what happened to them or who was governing body?
by the UN)? Like provinces, states, etc. That might help for other places outside of EU.
- ISO 3166 and sub-ISOs, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166 (not open source, but maybe leads to other insights or alternatives)
- statoids: http://www.statoids.com/
- this not official looking list and page, but might help?